Shark attacks surfer in Western Australia

Shark attacks surfer in Western Australia

Opposition Leader Mike Nahan said the attack would make worldwide news given the Margaret River Pro event was on nearby.

There have been three fatal shark attacks in the area since 2004, when Bradley Smith was fatally mauled by a great white.

The man was conscious and breathing when paramedics arrived and has been flown to Royal Perth Hospital.

The man in his 30s was bitten at Cobblestones Beach near Gracetown in Western Australia's south-west about 8am on Monday.

The first victim - a 37-year-old man - was flown to Perth via RAC Rescue helicopter.

"If anyone is familiar with the Mick Fanning moment.it was very similar to that, where a shark pretty much popped up and ended up knocking a surfer off his board", Jovic told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

"After discussing with local authorities, the water safety team and surfers, the WSL commissioner's office has made a decision to resume competition for the Margaret River Pro at Main Break at 10.40am, following a one-hour hold prompted by reports of a shark incident at Gracetown - approximately 15km away from the event site", a spokeswoman said. "After that it was hard to see what was going on".

Vincent and Kompany toast City's EPL title
There have been a lot more good days for the Red side but today it is for the Blue. "He's a better loser than a victor , I have got to be honest!"

"I$3 saw the guy who had been attacked get separated from the [surf] board and then start to paddle for an inside wave, which he managed to body surf all the way in".

'They got him to shore and started working on him to stem the bleeding'. He told reporters that the man's friends were integral in saving his life, using their leashes as tourniquets to stem the flow of blood.

VideoA witness to the Gracetown shark attack spoke to ABC Breakfast about the incident.

Opposition Leader Mike Nahan said the attack would make global news because of the Pro event.

In a statement posted to its Facebook page following the incident, the WSL said it had chose to suspend the competition for an hour after "discussions with local authorities".

"Surfer and staff safety are top priorities for the WSL and when competition resumes, further enhanced safety measures, including ski and drone presence, will be added to the event's mitigation protocols".

At 10am, the WSL said the competition would resume as normal.

Related Articles