Divers go in to save all remaining Thai boys trapped in cave

Divers go in to save all remaining Thai boys trapped in cave

Divers have entered a cave in northern Thailand to retrieve the last four members of a football team and their coach on what rescuers hope will be the final day of the mission to free them. But officials waited several hours before confirming their rescue.

About six hours after the operation began around 10 a.m. local time (11 p.m. ET), an ambulance was seen leaving the site of the Thai cave.

Thai army has reported that the operations will be resumed on Tuesday, when the large rescue team of local and foreign divers will again venture into the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai for a third day, to attempt to bring out the four remaining boys and their coach.

The rescue operation began Sunday and has been progressing rapidly.

Wearing full-face masks, which are easier for novice divers than traditional respirators, each boy is being accompanied by two divers, who also carry his air supply.

Classmates of the trapped boys at Mae Sai Prasitsart school, close to the caves, pray after their teacher announced that more of the footballers had been rescued.

The first thing the Thai boys rescued from a cave said was that they missed their homes and were happy to be out of the cave, officials at the the Chiang Rai hospital said on Sunday. They are still quarantined away from their parents, who have been able to see them through a glass window but not touch or hug them.

After days of planning, the first four boys emerged Sunday after an arduous journey.

Two more members of the Thai soccer team trapped in a cave have reportedly been pulled out.

It could reportedly take two to four days to complete the mission, officials said, so there is a chance that Musk's mini-sub will be there before the rescue is concluded.

Four Thai boys rescued as divers brace for next phase
The boys and their coach had been stranded in Tham Luang Nang Non when they went exploring in the cave after a scrimmage. Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was visiting all eight in the nearby hospital that they were helicoptered to, he said.

The boys' nightmare experience - trapped in claustrophobic darkness by rising waters - resonated across the globe, riveting people both in Thailand and internationally who anxiously watched the news coming from this town along the border with Myanmar.

Musk also said that a second sub, which is apparently 30cm shorter than the first one designed, was nearly complete, meaning that more than one device would be available for the rescues. The mission today is more hard than in the past two days, with all nine to be brought out.

Reuters reported that eight players have been rescued in unsafe attempts by a world-class global team of divers.

Jesada Chokdumrongsuk, permanent secretary at the Public Health Ministry, told a joint press conference on Tuesday morning that despite being healthy, the boys have to remain in hospital for at least a week.

The Thai Navy Seals, who have played a critical role in the treacherous rescue efforts, confirmed that four more boys were retrieved from the Tham Luang Nang Non cave.

In a tweet, Mr Musk said he had "just returned from Cave 3".

He posted photos of the cave interior and a video showing people working their way through chest-high water.

Musk has offered a "kid-sized" submarine, named Wild Boar after the kids' soccer team, to help in the rescue operation.

Divers have rescued eight of the boys.

Related Articles