Second day of Thailand cave rescue

Second day of Thailand cave rescue

Eight boys and the coach remained inside the Tham Luang Nang Non cave as authorities paused the worldwide effort to replenish air tanks along the treacherous exit route. A Thai army commander said the entire operation could take up to four days.

The anxious families say they have forgiven 25-year-old soccer coach Ekapol Chanthawong who led the boys on what was supposed to be an innocent adventure in cave exploring more than two weeks ago.

It's unlikely the nine in the cave are aware their teammates were rescued successfully, due to a lack of communication tools between them and the entrance, according to Ten News reporter Daniel Sutton.

Chamber 3 is the operational base for rescuers inside the cave.

Rescue operations chief Narongsak Osottanakorn described Sunday's initial rescue bid as "D-Day" when it was launched, and there were fears that any one of many potential pitfalls could prove deadly.

Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said at a press conference on Monday that the effort would involve the same divers. Sunday's mission took nine hours and plenty of energy, with each child being accompanied by two divers along the way. Four boys among the group of 13 trapped in a flooded Thai cave for more than a fortnight were rescued on July 8 after surviving a treacherous escape, raising hopes elite divers would also save the others soon.

Millions of people around the world have been captivated by the rescue mission.

Former Thai navy SEAL Saman Kunan passed out making the dive on Friday and died.

Divers held the first four boys close to bring them out and each had to wear an oxygen mask, authorities said.

Misfiring Olivier Giroud making unwanted World Cup history for France
Brazil were dumped out of the World Cup following a very impressive first-half display by Roberto Martinez's side. It means, if I'm on the field, the boss thinks I can help the team.

Though it rained again Sunday, it did not affect the water levels in the cave, said Narongsak Osatanakorn, the leader of the command center in charge of the rescue operation. Those conditions won't last if the rain resumes, he said.

Rescue operations resumed at 11am today, following a 20-hour operation yesterday that saw four members of the Wild Boar FC removed to safety.

The potential for rising water and the dwindling oxygen levels added to the urgency of getting the team out. Efforts to pump water out of the cave have been set back by heavy downpours.

Narongsak said that experts told him new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to just 10 square meters (108 square feet).

And while oxygen is placed along the road, one experienced ex-Thai Navy SEAL diver lost his life last week while replacing the oxygen canisters. Monsoon flooding blocked off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days.

UPDATE 0841 ET: The rescue operation has been suspended for the night in Thailand.

None of the trapped boys has ever been diving before and some do not even know how to swim.

Over the weekend, Musk posted on Twitter a series of videos showing a team of divers trying to maneuver the Falcon tube in the pool of the Palisades Charter High School in California.

He tweeted Sunday evening the group was en route to Thailand with the device and would reach the destination in about 17 hours. Since then, an worldwide team of engineers, rescuers and divers has been delivering supplies and food to the children and their coach ― and mulling ways to best help them escape.

Related Articles