Flesh-eating bacteria from eating raw oysters kills Florida man

Flesh-eating bacteria from eating raw oysters kills Florida man

A 71-year-old man in Florida died on July 10 after being infected by bacteria that cause flesh-eating disease (necrotizing fasciitis) from eating a contaminated raw oyster, according to local news reports.

Health officials say a 71-year-old man has died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from a bad oyster in Sarasota.

Two days later, the man was dead, WWSB reports.

Authorities have so far refused to reveal the man's identity and the name of the restaurant.

Vibrio vulnificus, as the bacteria is technically known, occurs naturally in warm, salty or brackish water.

The Florida Department of Health says if you experience any of the symptoms of this bacteria, seek medical care immediately.

You can also prevent Vibrio vulnificus infections by not eating raw oysters or other shellfish, avoiding cross-contamination of cooked seafood with raw seafood.

The illness is rare but can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the agency.

Iran files complaint to United Nations justice court against USA new sanctions
In today's meeting, India told the Iranian side that it was yet to take a call on complying with the United States sanctions. Pompeo said the goal is to deny Iran resources to support terrorism and continue its aggressive behavior around the world.

The illness was caused by Vibrio vulnificus, officials said.

Those affected should confer with a doctor if any of these symptoms occur soon after eating raw shellfish or entering the water with open wounds.

This is the first confirmed case and death from Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year.

"The summer time, May, June July there are no R's in there the water's warmer so the bacteria that's potentially hazardous to some people is more prevalent", Alton said.

Anyone with a weak immune system is advised to wear sandals or flip flops when entering the water to lower the risk of getting cut or scraped by seashells. "That's usually not the case when someone consumes the bacteria", Drennon said.

The CDC warned that it is impossible to tell if an oyster is bad just by looking at it and advised that cooking them properly is the only way to kill harmful bacteria.

Pasco County has had no cases in 2018, and one non-fatal case each in 2017 and 2017.

Related Articles