Texas Surf Resort Closed for 'Brain-Eating Amoeba' Testing

Texas Surf Resort Closed for 'Brain-Eating Amoeba' Testing

Frabrizio Stabile, of Ventor, New Jersey, died on September 21, days after visiting BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas.

While mowing the lawn on Sunday, Sept. 16, Stabile experienced a severe headache. The 29-year-old surfer died after dipping in a wave pool in Waco, Texas.

Known to family and friends as "Fab", his love for the outdoors led Stabile to work for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and Bass Pro Shops, his obituary read.

Fabrizio Stabile died on Friday, September 21st, after falling ill with Naegleria Fowleri.

Naegleria fowleri can not be contracted by swallowing contaminated water, according to the CDC.

People usually get it when contaminated water gets in their nose and travels to the brain.

In a statement, Stuart Parsons Jr., the owner of BSR Cable Park, said his "hearts and prayers" are with Stabile's family. The initial symptoms may include headache, fever, nausea, or vomiting.

Naegleria Fowleri is especially risky, proving fatal 97 percent of the time according to the CDC.

It's not about revenge, says Dr Mahathir after Rosmah charged
On June 5, she was first called up by the graft-busters to give her statement on an investigation into SRC International Sdn Bhd. At court on Thursday, she sat quietly in the dock and did not look at the gallery, where her family members were seated.

The surf park where Stabile is suspected to have contracted the infection.

There have been no reports of other illnesses, and Naegleria fowleri infection does not spread from person to person.

Only four people of the 143 infected with the amoeba in the United States between 1962 and 2017 have survived.

He tested for Naegleria fowleri, a rare and risky amoeba typically found in freshwaters such as lakes and rivers. In his memory, his family is asking for donations to the Swim Above Water Amoeba Awareness Foundation which aims to bring awareness to the disease.

The CDC will continue to investigate the surf resort in Waco. PAM is hard to detect because the disease progresses rapidly, so diagnosis is usually made after death, the CDC said.

Since the microscopic amoeba enters your body through your nose, experts advise people to avoid swimming underwater and diving in warm water bodies, especially during the late summer months.

The BSR pool has voluntarily closed its facilities so that a small CDC team can collect samples for testing.

Related Articles