Google Plus to close after bug leaks personal information

Google Plus to close after bug leaks personal information

Also, Smith is adamant Project Strobe found "no evidence" this bug was abused or even that the developers using the API were aware it existed.

A vulnerability in the Google+ social network exposed the personal data of up to 500,000 people using the site between 2015 and March 2018, the search giant said Monday. There were no phone numbers, email messages, timeline posts, direct messages or any other type of communication data.

In the wake of the report, Google has seemingly decided that the platform's time is up and will be shutting down consumer access to the social network. The bug allowed for developers that had access to Google+'s API to access information of users that gave permission to the program.

According to The Wall Street Journal, who first reported the story, Google refused to immediately disclose the bug when it was fixed back in March due to fear of regulatory scrutiny from lawmakers. Google CEO Sundar Pichai was allegedly briefed on the company's plan not to notify users about the bug.

According to the paper, the memo said that while Google could not find evidence that the exposed data had been misused, it also could not prove that misuse did not happen.

Google is also going to be limiting access to the apps seeking access to your SMS and Gmail data. This method will better secure third party APIs with Google services, allowing for less data to be given to outside applications.

Google claims there was no evidence of misuse of the data.

Venom bites head off October box office record
The third movie in the Rowan Atkinson-starring spy comedy opened to £4.1 million, over a million more than Bradley Cooper's drama. However, on Metacritic, Venom has a 5.8 user score, way below than the 9.2 user score for Lady Gaga's 'A Star Is Born '.

Ortega said such delays in reporting data leaks could become more common among technology companies as they looked to protect their reputation in the wake of legislation and privacy laws.

Amid revelations of another security snafu, Google has chose to sunset the consumer version of Google+ over the next year.

Google goes "beyond legal requirements" and applies "several criteria focused on our users" when deciding whether to provide notice, a spokesperson said in a statement.

Google says that 90 per cent of Google+ user sessions lasted for less than five seconds.

Now, "Only apps directly enhancing email functionality ... will be authorized to access this data", Smith assured.

"The review did highlight the significant challenges in creating and maintaining a successful Google+ that meets consumers' expectations", Ben Smith, vice president of engineering, wrote in a blog post.

Related Articles