Shark Kills Man in Australia’s Cid Harbor, Third in String of Attacks

Shark Kills Man in Australia’s Cid Harbor, Third in String of Attacks

THE 33-year-old man who died after being mauled by a shark at Cid Harbour on Monday afternoon has been identified as a talented, young doctor from Victoria.

"The man was then relayed to the shore before being transported to Mackay Hospital where he later passed away", the spokesman said in a statement.

The death comes just two months after two tourists were injured by sharks in the same area.

SHARK experts have described the three attacks in the Whitsunday's as completely out of the ordinary for the underwater predator.

"It's not a fallacy (sharks attack at dusk), but it's more prevalent with bull sharks ... the majority of bull shark attacks are after five in the evening and before eight in the morning", he said.

The last shark attack in the Whitsunday Islands before the latest spate occurred on February 13, 2010, off Dent Island where 60-year-old tourist Patricia Trumbull survived lacerations to her buttocks and major blood loss.

Читайте также: Navy plane intercepted by ‘irresponsible’ Russian jet for 25 minutes

The fading light and the man's critical condition meant the rescue helicopter had to hover on the beach while a critical care paramedic and rescue crewman Ben McCauley were taken to the boat on a tender. "His injuries and the reaction to those injuries was so severe that, unfortunately, he did not survive long after his arrival". It wasn't immediately known what type of shark attacked Christidis.

At the time 16 vessels were anchored in Cid Harbour and authorities warned all of them of the situation and water safety. The scene is what you would imagine a shark attack to be like.

Tasmanian mother of two Justine Barwick, 46, was bitten on her left thigh while snorkelling in the same area on September 19 and underwent 18 hours of surgery.

Late last week, a petition with 782 signatures was tabled in the Queensland Parliament calling for the government to immediately stop using shark nets and drum lines to stop the "carnage" inflicted by the shark control program.

Mr Furner said he had also heard anecdotal evidence of people dumping food from yachts, which was attracting sharks. She lost a lot of blood, and a doctor on a nearby boat is credited with saving her life, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported Monday.

However, Tourism Minister Kate Jones said they were sticking with their decision on Tuesday not to put in drumlines.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Related Articles