Vietnamese woman in assassination trial denied freedom

Vietnamese woman in assassination trial denied freedom

After Thursday's hearing, Le Quy Quynh, the Vietnamese ambassador to Malaysia, briefly told reporters at the courthouse that he was "disappointed" with the decision.

Vietnam's justice minister and foreign minister both asked Kuala Lumpur to set Huong free this week.

He said Hanoi would again request that Malaysian authorities treat Huong fairly and release her "as soon as possible".

Doan's lawyer Hisyam Teh Poh Teik lodged the appeal for full acquittal earlier in the week and now accuses Attorney General Tommy Thomas of being unjust. He said prosecutors were being unfair to Huong as her case was similar to Aisyah. "More so in this case because two people were charged, but it was withdrawn against one but not against the other".

Hương, 30, is charged with killing a North Korean national whose passport name was Kim Chol by smearing his face with an illegal chemical poison at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on February 13, 2017.

Last August, a High Court judge found there was enough evidence to show that Aisyah, Huong and the four North Koreans had worked together on a plan to kill Kim.

Huong's lawyer sought a deferment of the trial Thursday, saying she was unwell and needed medical treatment.

It was a shock development after her Indonesian co-defendant, Siti Aisyah, was freed on Monday and flew back home.

49 dead in New Zealand terror shooting: two mosques attacked
Police Chief Troy Cooper will also personally visit at least one of the mosques, according to polices spokesperson Cst. Mr Wakefield, who was born in New Zealand , said experts have long warned New Zealand of the risk of an attack .

Pyongyang, said to have viewed Kim as a political threat, has officially denied any involvement in his murder and four North Korean suspects remain at large. The Guardian reported that Huong looked pale and drawn.

Aisyah told CNN in an interview, Wednesday, that she agreed to take part in the reality TV show as side job to make some extra money. The defense part of the trial was to have started Monday. She thanked the Party, State and the Vietnamese Embassy in Malaysia for their help and support.

"I had hoped for good news today, but unfortunately there is none".

"I don't understand why the other girl was released, but not my daughter", Vy told Reuters after the decision.

Huong's lawyers said they were deeply disappointed with the decision and the attorney general had a "moral obligation" to explain the reasoning given the global nature of the case.

Huong could face a death sentence if she is convicted. "It's very obvious, my lord, that there is discrimination", he said.

As of late Thursday night (local time), the Attorney-General's Chamber had not issued a statement about the decision in Doan's case. There was security camera video of Huong with Kim. The North Korean embassy in Kuala Lumpur was defaced with graffiti just hours before the trial was to resume.

They remain at large despite an Interpol "red notice", equivalent to an worldwide arrest warrant.

Related Articles