NZ, Bangladesh Test cancelled after mosque attacks

NZ, Bangladesh Test cancelled after mosque attacks

They are at the ground, they are shaken but good, ' Villavarayen told Reuters in a twitter message.

New Zealand internationals Martin Guptill and Lockie Ferguson, who play first class cricket for Auckland, also withdrew from their team's match against Otago in Dunedin.

"All our players are now safe in their hotel which has been cordoned off", the spokesman said.

There was no official information on casualties but the New Zealand Herald said at least one person was killed.

"We'll demand proper security wherever our team goes in future".

"When Australia, England were anxious about our security, we told that no country is safe from terrorist attack".

"The Bangladesh team may have prayed at the same mosque before but I don't think they were the target", he underscored.

It is not yet clear whether the final Test will start as scheduled at 9am on Saturday morning.

"This isn't about cricket", New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said when discussing the cancellations in his sport.

The Bangladesh team is expected to return home at 10.40pm local time (1640GMT) on Saturday.

The team showed a united front in terms of the decision, Curwin said in a statement.

Imam of attacked New Zealand mosque says 'we still love this country'
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Friday called the massacre the work of an "extremist right-wing, violent terrorist". Tarrant has spent little time in Australia in the past four years and only had minor traffic infractions on his record.

"Frightening experience and please keep us in your prayers", the opening Bangladeshi batsman wrote on Twitter.

He posted, "Entire team got saved from active shooters!".

Wicket-keeper Mushfiqur Rahim also described the scenes of panic, saying the team had been "lucky" to escape the violence.

Coach Steve Rhodes said the squad were still in shock from the incident.

Armed police in New Zealand swarmed central Christchurch Friday amid a shooting at a mosque in the South Island city.

Visitors head home after almost getting caught up in the terror attack that left 49 people dead, as questions rise whether New Zealand is safe from acts of extreme violence or terrorist attacks.

Two tests have previously been abandoned due to rain, while three tests overseas involving New Zealand have been cancelled due to terror attacks. Six members of the team were wounded, while six security personnel and two civilians were killed. After this, the cricketing body banned global cricket in Pakistan.

Another user asked: "Will the ICC ban New Zealand from hosting cricket or that restriction is only for Pakistan?"

"I can't tell you too much about the events because I was at the ground when the lads went but they're all upset and it's a great shame for the whole word really when things like this happen in Christchurch".

ICC has already released a statement, on their website, condemning the incident: "Our thoughts and honest condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by this horrendous incident in Christchurch. Again both teams and support staff groups are safe", it said.

Related Articles