Saudi Arabia thwarts Huthi missile attack on Mecca

Saudi Arabia thwarts Huthi missile attack on Mecca

Saudi Arabia said on Monday that it had intercepted two missiles in Makkah province that were fired by Yemen's Iran-backed Houthis.

It is not clear if there are any injuries or what is the extent of damage due to the attack.

The state-run Saudi Press Agency quoted al-Maliki describing the Houthis as the "terrorist militias of Iran".

Saudi Arabia's air defence system has reportedly intercepted two Houthi missiles in the Mecca province, Reuters reported, citing a statement from the kingdom's embassy in Washington DC.

Huawei launches Honor 20 Pro with Four Back Cameras and Android OS
Meanwhile, the higher spec Honor 20 Pro that comes with the second highest DxOMark Mobile score will be released at a later date. The most expensive handset among the three new ones announced yesterday is the Honor 20 Pro which will retail for Euro 599.

The bloc said the Arab summit aims at discussing last week's sabotage of commercial vessels near the UAE territorial waters and attacks carried out by Iranian-backed Houthi militias in Yemen against two oil pumping stations in Saudi Arabia and their serious implications on regional and global peace and security and on world oil markets' supply and stability.

These attacks come a week after the Houthis launched a drone strike on a Saudi oil pipeline west of Riyadh. There was also no immediate comment from Saudi Arabia or the Saudi-led coalition.

In Yemen, the Houthi rebels are fighting against the internationally recognized government of the country. Iran denied being behind the drone attacks.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt have imposed an economic and diplomatic boycott on Qatar since June 2017 over allegations that Doha supports terrorism and is cosying up to regional foe Iran. The UAE has not blamed anyone for the sabotage acts against the tankers pending an investigation and said it was committed to de-escalation. "We are here to save 12 million people - many of them children and women - to save them from starvation", he told a briefing in Geneva.

Related Articles