The emergence of 17-year cicadas gives the adventurous cook dinner a chance to bake these treats from the 2004 cookbook “Cicada-Licious: Cooking and Having fun with Periodical Cicadas,” from Jenna Jadin and the College of Maryland Cicadamaniacs.
“General, over 1,000 insect species are eaten by people,” writes Jadin. Cicadas particularly have been a staple meals for Australian Aborigines, New Guineans, Siamese, and American Indians, and had been thought-about a delicacy in historical Greece and Rome, in addition to in modern-day Japan.
Some great benefits of eating on bugs? “Most bugs are low cost, tasty and a superb pure protein supply,” she notes. “Moreover, they’re far cleaner than different creatures: grasshoppers and crickets eat recent, clear, inexperienced crops whereas crabs, lobsters and catfish eat any form of foul, decomposing materials. Lastly, bugs are low in ldl cholesterol and low in fats.”
Her recipe for Emergence Cookies is under. “These ought to seem like cicadas rising out of just a little pile of chunky mud!”
Yield: 60 cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
A further 1/3 cup sugar
1 crushed egg white
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (non-obligatory)
About 60 parboiled dry roasted cicadas (roast for under 8 minutes in order that they keep some moisture)
1. In a big bowl, beat shortening with eggs, the 1 1/2 cups sugar, cooled chocolate, baking powder, and vanilla till properly mixed, scraping sides of bowl.
2. Progressively stir in flour until totally mixed. Stir within the nuts. Cowl and chill for 1-2 hours or till dough is simple to deal with.
3. In the meantime, stir collectively the 1/3 cup sugar and crushed egg white. Place cicadas on waxed paper; brush with egg white combination and put aside.
4. Form dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches aside on ungreased cookie sheets. Place a cicada on high of every ball, urgent frivolously.
5. Bake in a 375° oven for 8-10 minutes or till edges are set. Switch to a rack to chill.
From “Cicada-Licious: Cooking and Having fun with Periodical Cicadas” (College of Maryland), 2004. Reprinted by permission.
Disclaimer: The College of Maryland and the Cicadamaniacs don’t advocate consuming cicadas with out first consulting together with your physician. Whereas many individuals do eat cicadas, there isn’t a assure that they’re secure for each particular person to eat. As with all meals, it’s doable that sure people could have allergic reactions to substances inside the cicada.
For more information: